MUP101/201: Symphonic Band
Monday/Wednesday/Friday 12:00-12:50pm in AC 2102 - Credit Hours: 1
Student Learning Outcomes - At the conclusion of this course students will be able to:
- Perform successfully in a group setting.
- Listen and discern pitch differences between you, a standard, and others.
- Perform with a rhythmically stable sense of time.
- Demonstrate quality characteristic sound on your instrument.
- Demonstrate a variety of articulations on your instrument.
- Understand relationships between composers, eras, style methods.
Student expectations of the conductor:
- The conductor will respect the time and musicianship of the students.
- The conductor will provide a schedule for every rehearsal and adhere to it as closely as possible.
- The conductor will be prepared for every rehearsal. Each score should be studied to a level of making music in rehearsal, not simply eliminating errors.
- The conductor will choose repertoire with musical, educational, and entertainment value, and at an appropriate level of technical and musical demand.
- The conductor functions as the advocate of the composer. The conductor will hold the group to a standard expected by the composer’s needs.
Conductor expectations of the students:
- Students will check schedules well in advance of rehearsals.
- Students will explore the posted course content on the MHSB website
- Students will be technically prepared for each rehearsal.
- Students will be willing to engage in conversations about music and musicality.
- Students will begin to make decisions about their own musicality before coming to rehearsal.